Our office is not only dedicated to your smile, we're also dedicated to your overall wellness.
If early signs and symptoms of oral cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified, we will make sure you are referred to the appropriate specialist. And while these symptoms may be caused by other, less serious problems, it is very important to visit your general dentist's office to rule out the possibility of oral cancer. The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening, or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
Aside from receiving an oral cancer screening during your routine checkups at your general dental office, there are many things you can do to help prevent oral cancer.
- The best way to prevent oral cancer is to avoid all tobacco products and only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking, sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
- During your next dental appointment, ask your dentist to perform an oral exam. Early detection of oral cancer can improve the chance of successful treatment.